Thursday, December 10, 2009

A lifer from Ulu Yam

I was in Selangor with my family last week. While my family was out shopping, armed with a GPS, I drove to Ulu Yam in search of butterflies.  The last time I was there was about 10 years ago and it was there that I saw my first Banded Peacock (see this post).

10 years later, at the same place, I saw another lifer, The Giant Saturn  - Zeuxidia aurelius aurelius. new_blonde[1] .

Zeuxidia aurelius  aurelius (f)-MYUluYam-20091205_D4074-640 
The Giant Saturn is rare and this one is a female, with the marking of the upperside forewing white in color.  According to BMP, the female attains a wingspan of 145 mm., and has the largest wing area of any Malaysian butterfly !

At the same place I also saw the Malayan Jungle Glory - Thaumantis odana pishuna.


Thaumantis odana  pishuna-MYUluYam-20091205_D4056-640

T. odana
can be differentiated from the other 2 Thaumantis by the oblique blue band on the forewing.

I saw a few Striped RingletRagadia makuta siponta, fluttering among the bushes. This is a common butterfly in the Malaysia forest.

Ragadia makuta siponta-MYUluYam-20091205_D4083-480

Before I knew it, it is time to head back to the hotel.  I will definitely come back to Ulu Yam the next time I visit PJ/KL.

No comments: